Note to Assistive Technology Users: Access Assistant can be opened with the hotkey combination Ctr+Shift+Space.
Performing Manual Testing
Manual Testing can be performed in Access Assistant to allow users to test pages and components in context. Access Assistant provides users with a Manual Testing Wizard, which walks the tester step-by-step through a baseline set of tests to maximize coverage while minimizing effort.
To perform manual testing:
- Launch Access Assistant from the page to be tested and navigate to the associated module in the associated report.
- Select the Manual Testing menu, then select the WCAG Baseline option.
- The Manual Testing Wizard will be launched, displaying the first step and all related tests. Each test will display a list of test steps with information about the tools that should be used to assist with testing. The relevant WCAG 2.0 or 2.1 rules will be displayed with the test, as well as the total number of violations of any type that have already been raised for the Best Practice.
- Evaluate the webpage or component against the manual testing steps. If a violation is found, add an instance following the instructions below.
- Navigate through each step of the wizard and run through all tests in each step.
- When testing has been completed for all tests, a "Validation" screen will display all manual instances that were added during testing. Review the instances, and if correct, select the "Mark Testing Complete" button to appropriately set the testing status of the module.
Adding a Violation Instance
To add an instance of a violation:
- Select the Add Instance button for the test that that has failed. This opens a form in which the violation details can be entered.
- Select the Inspect button to select the component that has the violation. This will automatically populate the details of the component in the Description field.
- Mouse Users:
- After selecting the Inspect button, navigate to the main testing window.
- In the main testing window, click on the component that is in violation.
- In the subsequent screen, confirm the node selection OR refine the selection by selecting the appropriate node in the window.
- Keyboard-only Users: After selecting the Inspect button, scroll through the source code on the subsequent screen and select the opening tag for the component.
- Mouse Users:
- Enter details about the instance in the Note field.